Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Exbeariments

The bear play continues to move forward, albeit very slowly since everyone involved has multiple projects on the go. This past summer I did a couple of experiments, both based around the idea of wearing a bear on my hand like a glove.

For the first one, I tracked down a black bear Beanie Baby and dissected it. (Some might call this sacrilege, but our country's economy went off the Beanie Baby standard years ago.) It was almost exactly the right size, though I had to safety pin a few things to get it to fit my hand exactly. The top hat is a mock-up made of Bristol board.



The second experiment was a variation on the cave painting bear puppet I'd made the summer before. It still has an uninterrupted outline, this time made of glow-in-the-dark plastic string (the kind you make bracelets out of at summer camp). The bear's two-dimensional body parts are made of black craft foam, and they aren't attached to each other, but they're all attached to a black glove I'm wearing. The constellation Ursa Major is painted on it in glow-in-the-dark paint so that it looks like a constellation come to life. (It looks even better in total darkness, but the camera couldn't pick that up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment